Helpful tips for your PGC journey!
We are building a powerful movement — to connect like-minded community members, inspire each other, share ideas and learnings, and grow the reach of our mobilizing messages in-person and online. And it’s better when more people are involved, so invite friends to sign up at projectgreenchallenge.com and spread the word far and wide. Throughout the challenge, you will be asked to post on social media from a public Instagram account, as well as amplify across social media. You can use your existing account and/or start a PGC-specific one. Please begin by following our organization @TurningGreenOrg on Instagram. We are also on Twitter @TurningGreenOrg and Facebook @Turning Green. The official hashtag is #PGC2022, which you will use on every post, in addition to tagging @TurningGreenOrg.
Our team is here to support you every step of the way.
You are now a part of the PGC family, linked to over 320,000 participants from the past 11 years who continue to be the change! For technical questions, requests, clarifications, ideas or otherwise, you can reach our team anytime at email@example.com and/or via DM on Instagram! Our team monitors both regularly.
PGC in 10 Steps
1. Ready, set, GO! At 6am Pacific Time (PT) on October 1 (Saturday), the first challenge will go live on the website: projectgreenchallenge.com. This will happen every day at 6am PT through October 30!
2. Each challenge will be live for 24 hours from 6am PT to 5:59am PT the following day. Once that 24-hour period is over, no additional submissions will be accepted.
3. You will receive an email with the link every morning. Follow the link to that day’s challenge or go directly to the website. Read through, as some challenges require day-long actions or foresight. Browse the overview, video, infographic, and TED Talk to become acquainted with the theme. Play the Song of the Day for motivation and further inspiration!
4. Log in to start the day’s challenge. If you are on a team, team members must all use the same team login. There are 3 levels of challenges each day and an occasional extra credit challenge.
– The first level is Green.
– Read the Green Challenge and prepare requested deliverables.
– Follow Submission Guidelines on each challenge.
– Submit by clicking the upload button at the bottom of the page.
You must be logged in to see the upload button. Remembering to log in is the most common troubleshooting solution!
5. Repeat Step 4 for each remaining challenge level you wish to complete. You must complete challenges in the following order: Green, Greener, Greenest. You cannot submit a higher challenge level until you have submitted the prior level each day — meaning you must submit Green before you can submit Greener, and Green and Greener before Greenest.
6. Extra Credit challenges offer more time for completion, as do some Greenest levels. The deadline will be in challenge instructions. You must complete Green, Greener and Greenest for a particular day before you can upload Extra Credit. Extra Credits are worth more points, also noted in the text.
7. After uploading deliverables, you can view your score by going to Edit Profile on the bottom navigation bar. For each challenge completed, you will receive points: Green 20, Greener 40, Greenest 60. Extra credit points vary and are awarded later, based on challenge instructions.
8. Prizes are awarded each day. Up to 10 Greener and 10 Greenest outstanding submissions will be chosen as daily winners and receive fabulous prizes mailed to your door! The Winners page is updated daily.
9. If selected as a winner, you will receive an email from PGC informing you and requesting a mailing address. Prizes can only be shipped in the United States. Students outside of the US may have prizes delivered to an address of family or friends within the US.
10. Complete as many days and challenges as possible, though you are not required to submit every day or every level to remain in PGC and/or be eligible for prizes or the PGC Finals. Earn points, win prizes, gain valuable knowledge, and change the world together!
Age Requirement: Everyone is encouraged to participate in PGC. However, to be eligible to appear on the leaderboard, win prizes or be selected as a PGC Finalist, you must be a high school, college or graduate school student over 16 years of age by October 1, 2022.
Self-care: If at any point for any reason, you need a break, take a day or two off from PGC — or simply do the Green level of challenges for a bit. The great thing about this program is that you don’t have to participate every day. Whatever time and energy you are able to spend on PGC will be informative, inspiring and rewarding!
PGC Finals: Up to 14 PGC Finalists will be selected from the global pool of participants based on points accrued, depth and breadth of engagement, number of challenge wins, quality of work, and a final exam and video. Finalists will be invited to participate in the PGC Finals from November 17 – 21, 2022 in the San Francisco Bay Area of Northern California. Finalists engage with eco leaders and work with mentor teams to develop and present their Climate Action Projects (CAP) and PGC journey before a panel of esteemed judges, which factors into selection of the PGC Champion. Each finalist will have until early April 2023 to complete their CAP with a mentor team. The PGC Finals Part 2 will be hosted virtually in late April and a trio of winners will be announced with one PGC Champion winning the Grand Prize, a $5,000 Green Award to continue healing the planet.
Zero tolerance for plagiarism!
PGC helps students worldwide cultivate unique voices for change. While we understand that you have many commitments, PGC only accepts original work produced solely by the official participant or team members.
Project Green Challenge has a zero tolerance policy for work that has been plagiarized or is otherwise not original. This includes submissions that excerpt heavily from other sources, but fail to include proper citations. Participants who plagiarize or submit work that is not entirely their own will be disqualified from PGC without warning. Turning Green reserves the right to determine whether a submission is dishonest and may disqualify any participant at any point as a result.
If you feel uninspired, unsure or tired, simply take a break. The competition is designed to reward outstanding work, not solely the highest points. Submitting original work is always in your favor.
When wondering whether something qualifies as “original,” ask yourself: would you submit this in a class? Schools have strict and explicit academic honesty policies. Chances are, if your work fits within your school’s policy, it is acceptable for PGC. Read more about our Zero Tolerance Policy here.
The full set of rules for PGC can be viewed here. Your participation in PGC 2022 confirms acceptance of these rules. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
And so it begins!
Thank YOU for participating in what is sure to be an incredible journey! For the next 30 days and beyond, our team and fellow participants will be here to respond, support, cheer you on, and be inspired by everything you accomplish. Share on social media by using #PGC2022 and tagging @TurningGreenOrg. Breathe — and get ready to dream and do! Here’s to YOU!
The PGC Team